The Tibet Bureau in Geneva
The Tibet Bureau in Geneva is the official agency of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Central Tibetan Administration with their headquarters in Dharamsala, India. The Tibet Bureau was established in 1964 in approval from the Swiss Federal Government. The office is responsible for Tibetan affairs in Central and Eastern Europe.
It’s main functions are
- Preparing visits of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and officials of the Central Tibetan Administration
- Look after the welfare of Tibetans living in Europe and to strengthen their relationship with the Central Tibetan Administration
- Support the preservation and promotion of Tibetan culture, religion and language
- To inform and seek support from governments, parliamentarians, international institutions, NGOs and interested individuals about the situation in Tibet and the Tibetan issue
- To maintain contact with Chinese in Europe including from mainland China to explain His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s position to resolve the Tibet issue through non-violence
- To raise the Tibet issues in UN Human Rights Council sessions
- Seek funds for education, health and other social developmental projects
The Representative of H. H. the Dalai Lama at The Tibet Bureau, Geneva
Mr. Chhimey Rigzen took up the position of Representative of His Holiness the Dalai Lama for Central and Eastern Europe on 07 March 2019.
Prior to taking up this position, he was the Secretary of Department of Home, Dharamshala, India.
Born in 1960 in Pemakoed, Tibet and completed his Higher Secondary Education from CST Darjeeling in 1980. Completed his BA (Private Candidate) from Chandigarh University while serving the SFF till 1994. From 1994-96 worked as Accountant cum Administrator at Menlha Hospital, Phuntsokling Settlement in Orissa. He begin his service in CTA on 2 January 1997 as Deputy Secretary at the Kashag Secretariat. On 15 November 2000 transferred to Bir Tibetan Society as Settlement Officer. In 2003 transferred to Tibetan Settlement Officer in Manpat. On 12 November 2004, promoted to Joint Secretary and transferred to Lugsam Samdupling Settlement Officer in Bylakuppe. On 9 March 2006, transferred to Department of Home and hold the post of Agriculture and Cooperative Division. On 3 February 2012, Promoted to Additional Secretary. On 13 January 2016, transferred to Health Department as Acting Secretary. From 25 July 2016 - 15 May 2017 served Department of Home as Acting Secretary and officially took the charge of Secretary of Home Department on 16 May 2017.
Much of Mr. Chhimey’s career was centered on rural development and public administration.
Names of Representative of Tibet Bureau since its establishment:
|1||Mr. Phala Thupten Woenden||1964 - 1973|
|2||Mr. Nehnang Lopsang Choepel||1973 - 1976|
|3||Mr. Sangling Tsering Dorjee||1976 - 1985|
|4||Mr. Kelsang Gyaltsen||1 Sep 1985 – Feb 1992|
|5||Mr. Gyaltsen Gyaltag||Nov 1991 - Sep 1995|
|6||Mrs. Koren Chungdak||5 Sep 1995 – 26 Aug 2001|
|7||Mr. Chhime Rigzing Chhoekyapa||27 Aug 2001 – 15 Sep 2005|
|8||Mr. Kelsang Gyaltsen||1 Sep 2005 – 30 Mar 2008|
|9||Mr. Tseten Samdup Chhoekyapa||1 April 2008 - 30 September 2014|
|10||Mr. Ngodup Dorjee||01 October 2014 - 06 March 2019|